Saturday, March 14, 2020

The Urantia Races on Unreal

How difficult would it be to show the spread of the races with a time slider that shows their progress across Earth? Well I have spent countless hours using techniques that dont work. It's difficult. Finally I have settled on the way to do it. Morphing arrows and decals and textures. Morphs are shapes that change their shapes over time.

The problem with any game engine is, like all 3d engines, is that they aren't made to do stuff that is out of their ballpark. I've tried morphing shapes, effect systems, which work mostly with particles. Decals which are difficult to change over time and water materials which are also difficult to morph as they use shapes also.

Finally, I believe I can use two systems in tandem. First I will use multiple arrows that change in color and shape, that meld into one over time. That will show the mixing of two races. Then I will use a decal that is the same size as Earth with colored areas when a certain race or mixture has settled into one area. That way, I morph arrows and remove the need to morph decals. I can use static decals that don't change over time.

The decals can actually be textured and are transparent over areas that have no races yet. Should work.

Pierre

No comments:

Post a Comment